Contact at Christmastime

Christmas is not that far away so if you haven't already you should discuss the arrangements for contact with your children over the Christmas holidays.

Many separated couples are able to agree the arrangements for the absent parent to have contact with their children on a regular basis throughout the year and the specific arrangements for contact over the Christmas and New Year period.

Unfortunately some separated parents are unable to agree the pattern of contact and if you are one who has yet to firm up the arrangements over Christmas you must start thinking about it now.

If you want contact with your children over Christmas and your ex partner says no or is offering less contact than you would like you should seek legal advice.

The first step is always to try to reach an agreement directly with the other parent but if that is unsuccessful you should seek legal advice.

Every case is different but the normal procedure would be for us to write to the other parent setting out what contact you want in the hope that an agreement can be reached.  If not we would refer you to a mediation service (some exceptions apply) but if that does not produce an agreement then you can make an application to the Court for a Contact Order.

For advice on arrangements concerning your children or any other family law issue please contact us.