Can I Change My Child’s Surname?

Our Kelly Bruton answers the frequently asked question – Can I change my child’s surname?

A question that we are quite frequently asked is whether a child’s surname can be changed.  If a child is under 16, their name can only be changed if everyone with parental responsibility for them gives written evidence of their consent.  If the child is over 16 or the other parent with parental responsibility is willing to provide written consent, we can prepare a Change of Name Deed.

If the child’s other parent has parental responsibility and refuses to consent to their name being changed, then it will be necessary for a Specific Issue Order application to be made by the court to change a child’s name.  When considering whether a child’s name should be changed, the court will take into account current case law and they will apply the principle that the child’s welfare is the