Can I Get Divorced from a Civil Partnership?

A divorce for civil partners is called a dissolution. For the process to be successful, there has to be no hope of reconciliation so if you believe this to be the case, please get in touch. You may be able to cut the cost of a dissolution by opting for a fixed fee service – this may be right for you if you don’t think there will be any objections from your former partner.

Fixed Fee Dissolution as the Petitioner

Are you the petitioner? Is your partner likely to consent to the dissolution and its content? If so, you may wish to opt for the Fixed Fee Dissolution as the Petitioner service. If you think your partner may object to the dissolution, this doesn’t mean we cannot help you – simply get in touch so we can talk to you about what to do next. We can complete all the Court paperwork for you and liaise with the court on your behalf. This service doesn’t cover work related to children and financial matters though we can deal with these areas separately.

Dissolutions normally take between 4 to 6 months to complete. We will discuss and agree any additional fees with you before we take the any action we need to charge extra for, such as proving to the Court that your former partner has received the papers.

Fixed Fee Dissolution as the Respondent

Perhaps you require the Fixed Fee Dissolution as the Respondent service? If your former partner is the petitioner and you do not object to the dissolution, this may be right for you. We may also be able to help if you do want to dissolve the civil partnership but do object to certain details. Simply get in touch if this is the case and you wish to learn more about your options. Those that do not accept that the partnership has reached an end can arrange a meeting to talk about what to do next. Again, we can deal with all Court paperwork and send the documentation to them, keeping you in the loop at every step.

Some people find that the Divorce Petition includes a claim ordering you to pay their legal fees. If you object to this, you may need to produce a statement detailing your objections.

Jargon-Free Advice

At New Leaf Solicitors we are highly experienced family solicitors that can provide you with in-depth advice and support on divorce and dissolving civil partnerships. We can assist you on issues including finance and contact arrangements and can offer clear, valuable advice throughout the period we are working with you.

You can reach us today by calling 01788 555042 or sending an e-mail to