Contact With Your Children – Looking Ahead to Christmas

Christmas may seem a long way away but if you have not yet made the arrangments with your ex partner for contact with your children you should start to discuss the arrangements now.

Many separated couples are able to agree the arrangements for the absent parent to have contact with their children on a regular basis throughout the year and the specific arrangements for contact over the Christmas and New Year period.

Unfortunately some separated parents are unable to agree the pattern of contact and if you are one who has yet to firm up the arrangements over Christmas you must start thinking about it now.  Leaving it to December can be too late especially if court proceedings are necessary.

If you want contact with your children over Christmas and your ex partner says no or is offering less contact than you would like you should seek legal advice.

The first step is always to try to reach an agreement directly with the other parent but if that is unsuccessful you should seek legal advice.

Every case is different but the normal procedure would be for us to write to the other parent setting out what contact you want in the hope that an agreement can be reached.  If not we would refer you to a mediation service (some exceptions apply) but if that does not produce an agreement then you can make an application to the Court for a Contact Order.

For advice on contact or residence issues concerning your children please contact Amanda Weaver by email or phone.